WG08, “MPEG Genomic Coding” Working Group, develops standards for the efficient compression, transport, access and processing of genome sequencing data, metadata, primary and secondary analysis data, and related annotations. The MPEG-G family of standards include: file and transport formats, various options for the indexing, structuring and classification of genomic data, as well as compression technology for raw reads, aligned reads, metadata and annotation data. In addition standard APIs support interoperability for the selective protection of the compressed data and complex queries of reads and metadata in the compressed domain.
Terms of reference: Development of standards for different types of Genomic Data, with the following programme of work:
- Serve as responsible body within ISO/IEC for recommending a set of standards consistent with the area of work;
- Cooperate with other standardisation bodies dealing with similar applications;
- Consider requirements for inter-working with other genomic data coding approaches defined by other standardisation bodies;
- Define relevant input genomic data material;
- Develop and test efficient coding-decoding algorithms for raw data, associated analysis data and associated annotation data;
- Establish performance analysis criteria;
- Analyse performance by core experimentations;
- Establish complexity analysis criteria;
- Perform complexity analysis for representative sets of tools and algorithms;
- Provide source code implementation for proposed standards;
- Propose standards for the coded representation of genomic data and associated metadata;
- Perform explorations with respect to new technology trend areas within the scope of work.